Fine Dining in
Estaminet "La Péniche"
Just outside the northern French town of Guinness (that has nothing to do with the beer or the world records), on a channel from Calais to Guînes floats a converted barge that was christened "La Peniche".
This barge serves not only as a restaurant, there are also art exhibitions and musical performances held here.
We visited La Peniche on such a musical evening. Although all tables were fully booked, the quality of the food and the service was impeccable. Kudos to the diligent manageress, who treats her customers as true guests.
The menu is a reflection of the Flemish cuisine, the French Flemish cuisine, that is. Do not expect artificial menus with crawfish or other exotic gadgets: this menu features seven starters, nine main courses and seven desserts. For the little ones, there is a children's menu (at €8.50 - £7.00) offering the young gourmand a choice of two dishes each. This three-course children's menu offers real value for money.
We ourselves enjoyed at "La Peniche" the following courts:
- friture d' éperlans: crispy fried smelt which were baked in their entirety. Including heads, fins, tails and bones. As the fish were at most two inches long, this was not annoying. A delicious appetizer!
- flamiche au sable de Wissant: a savory leek tart with fragrant cheese from their own region. Quite a heavy appetizer, perfect for the "big eater".
- waterzoï de volaille: a variation of the Belgian Waterzooi. (chicken casserole) A large piece of chicken breast (chicken label from the home region "Poulet de Liques") in a mild sauce. Was presented with a portion of rice.
- potchvleesh: a typical Flemish dish called "potty meat". Potty Meat is a cold dish, and consists of chunks of pickled chicken, rabbit, veal and pork, all held together in a transparent gelatin sauce.
- carbonade Flamande: the world famous Flemish beef-stew that -how else- was served with french fries.
- crème brulée: needs no translation or explanation.
- assortiments de fromages régionaux: an assortment of local cheeses. France has lots of cheeses to offer, but even with the regional cheeses from the "North" you can have a sweet time.
The food at La Peniche is of good quality, you will not leave the table hungry, the portions are quite large. The card is very budget-friendly: a first course costs on average €4.20 (£3.50), a main course will cost you between € 7.20 and € 10.70 (£6.00 - £9.00) and the most expensive dessert on the card is € 4.20. (£3.50)
Verdict: "La Peniche" is a must for those who wants to discover the traditional Franco-Flemish kitchen for little money and want to do so in an original setting.
In the summer you can eat or have a drink on deck. Going on an evening when a musical accompaniment is provided, you pay € 5 per person extra. Groups from 20 to 45 people are also welcomed.
This restaurant is currently not open
Restaurant la Péniche
route de Calais
tél : 03 21 34 06 57
De Panne (BE)
Februari 28, 2013
please use this link to contact me
or to exchange LINKS
back to the starting page
TRAVEL TIPS !
Practical advice on your holiday to France
Estaminet "La Péniche"
cultural restaurant in a converted barge,
Restaurant "Le Grand Air"
spectacular location on the Mont de Fiennes, with panoramic view over Calais and the English Channel,
Restaurant "Gare des Années Folles"
theme-restaurant in an old railway station,
62840 Sailly sur la Lys
Estaminet "L' Hazewinde"
59114 Saint Sylvestre-Cappel
Brasserie "L' Ocean"
situated on the seafront,
Fish Soup "Pérard"
fishmongers, restaurant, oyster bar in the fashionable Paris-Plage,
62520 Le Touquet
Brasserie "Le Chatillon"
62200 Boulogne Sur Mer
Fast Food Resto's
Buffalo Gril (recommended)
Flunch, Pizza Paï,
my starter page